How to Check Car Oil
Checking the oil in your vehicle means protecting the engine and all its internal moving parts for a longer life on Kansas City and Independence roads. You should always make sure there’s enough oil and that the oil is clean. Whether you prefer to check yourself or you’d like a technician from our Mazda service center to help, read this guide from Eddy's Mazda of Lee's Summit to learn more about checking your vehicle’s oil so you can know when to schedule your oil change near Kansas City.
How to Check the Oil Level in Your Car: Step-By-Step Guide
Before you begin, be sure to check your owner’s manual. Not all newer vehicles use a traditional dipstick. Instead you may find an electronic oil monitor. Once you’ve read the manual, if you decide to check your vehicle’s oil manually, follow these steps:
- Mark sure the vehicle is parked on level ground, the vehicle is off, and the engine is cool.
- Open the vehicle’s hood and locate the dipstick.
- Pull the dipstick out and wipe away any oil from the end.
- Re-insert the dipstick all the way into its tube.
- Pull it back out and look at both sides to see where the level is.
- Check the levels on the end of the dipstick. If the levels are between the two marks within a cross-hatched area, then the levels are good.
If you notice the levels are low, check the owner’s manual again to ensure you’re using the right type of oil recommended for your model to top off the oil levels. To do this, remove the oil filter cap and add a little bit of oil at a time using the dipstick to indicate when you’ve reached the right levels. Once the levels are topped off, replace the cap and remove excess oil with a rag.
Visit the Eddy's Mazda of Lee's Summit Service Team
Our service team is ready to assist you in filling your oil, rotating your tires, helping you learn how to check your transmission fluid, and more! And with our service specials, you can save on the recommended maintenance your vehicle needs. Need a part? Our parts department has a wide variety of genuine Mazda parts to perfectly fit your vehicle. Schedule service with us today or contact us online for further assistance.